Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bienvenidos a Chipas

Welcome to Mexico City!  Yes, they have Starbucks there too.  I made a stop while I was waiting for my second flight.  Cafe Espresso Americano con hielo.  It was pretty good.

I was happy to see this sight as I was walking into town one day. I am a fan of corn tortillas and get to eat them daily at home with my host family.  It is fun to walk the streets of San Cristobal because the buidlings are all different colors.  It is beautiful.


I have been walking around town a lot trying to visit lots of different places.  This is la iglesia de Guadelupe.  I walked up the stairs yesterday and was pretty winded.  The elevation does make a difference!  This church is close by to my classroom where I study Spanish with Jorge.
A view of San Cristobal from the steps of la iglesia de Guadelupe.  The city is surrounded by green, plush hills.  The elevation is about 7000 ft above sea level, so the weather is pretty moderate.  Not too hot and not too cold.  

My first cup of coffee in San Cristobal at Cafe Selva.  I had my favorite a cafe aulait.  It was pretty good.  I came back for another today.  The coffee shop is a nice place to study and catch with things on the computer. 

I had my first Spanish lesson today.  I will be studying with Jorge, my teacher, for 3 hours a day.  I start at 9:30am and end at 12:30pm.  A typical day here is breakfast with Coco, my host mom, and then off to class.  There is time to explore or study after as we eat lunch here at 2:30 or 3:00.  More time to study, rest, drink coffee, and then a lighter supper at 9 or so.  A bit different than our traditional schedule.   

I am very glad to be here and I know I am being stretched.  Not being able to communicate can be a really frustrating thing, but that is why you come to study right?  More photos to come...

1 comment:

Heather said...

hola mi hermana! great pics, what an experience you're going to have! this is going to be so fun to watch your journey :) buena suerte con sus clases!!!