Thursday, July 10, 2008

Daily life in San Cristobal

Here are a few photos from my life in San Cristobal.  Many different colored buildings and a variety of churches to visit.  I think there are over 16 churches listed on my map of the city, and I have two more I still need to visit.   

A few things I have been learning about the culture in the city... walking on the sidewalks.  Well, some of the sidewalks here are very narrow.  Really, there is just space for one person to walk.   In most cases, the younger person moves to toward the street when a older person is walking toward them.  This  is a sign of respect.  Also, if a man is walking toward a woman, it would be respectful of him to move to the outside and let her pass by.  These courtesies are not always followed, but I try to move to the outside of the sidewalk as I approach the more mature people of the city.

Doing your laundry in San Cristobal... well they have shops called lavandurias that wash and dry your clothes for 10 pesos a kilogram.  The first time I went, I dropped off most of my clothing and it was only a little over 20 pesos.  That is essentially $2.00.  When you go to pick it up, you will find your clothes neatly folded and packaged.

I have been visiting the markets during the week as there are many people to observe, both vendors and buyers.  One of my favorite things to buy has been roses.  They grow beautiful flowers in a village not too far from San Cristobal.  I hope to visit it this weekend.  The roses are 4 pesos each, and at some markets they are 2 pesos each.  I have enjoyed having fresh flowers in my room, (just a few) as they are a bit more affordable here.

Chedraui... this is the plaza in the city that has a movie theater and a large grocery store.  It is a bit like being in the states as you go here as they have McDonalds and a Dominoes Pizza.  I have gone to visit there a couple of times because movies are just $2.50 on Wednesdays.  I am trying to learn to use public transportation, so I headed over by taxi, watched WALLE, and then headed home on a colectivo. 

This is a city that is great for lots of walking.  Everything is relatively close, and there is a lot to look at.  The street filled with people (in the photo below) is called Miguel Hidalgo. It is a street for pedestrians only and goes through the main center of the city.  It is usually full of people during the day and in the nights as well.  

I hope you enjoy seeing a few of the sights from San Cristobal... 









1 comment:

Mama Griffith, said...

hey heidi im so glad you started blogging that means I can keep up with your life!!!